University Mobility in Asia and the Pacific (UMAP), founded in 1991, is an association of government and non-government representatives of the higher education sector in the Asia-Pacific region. The organization is responsible for overseeing the UMAP Exchange Program, which involves the development and implementation of university student and staff exchanges which are consistent with UMAP principles. Through increased mobility of university students and staff, UMAP aims to achieve enhanced international understanding.
UMAP has instituted UMAP Research Net (URN) to promote research collaboration and facilitate cooperation among member institutions, territories, and countries. Cross-border higher education through the mobility of students, academic staff, programs/institutions, and professionals has grown considerably. Driven by this global trend, URN further aims to promote academic mobility and collaboration, and to promote effective interaction and exchange among scholars, researchers, and educators across cultures. URN applicants may request funding of up to 5,000 USD. For more information or download application form, please visit http://umap.org/programs/#research-net
To be eligible, a proposal for URN must meet the following requirements:
- The research team submitting the proposal must comprise individuals from two or more UMAP pledged institutions from two or more UMAP Full member countries/territories. The principal researcher must be a faculty member or researcher with a Ph.D. or equivalent, while the others may be post-graduate students or researchers without a Ph.D.
- The proposal must show that one of the goals is to develop a research network and promote the mobility of researchers.
- The proposal must show the full research project budget indicating existing or potential sources of revenue other than the UMAP Grant.
- The proposal must include a strategy / critical path to pursue further collaboration after the completion of the initial project.
- A final report must be submitted in English within two months of the completion of the research project.
From now on
Call for Proposals
UMAP IS, OHEC and International Affairs Division (IAD)
For more information or download application form, please visit http://umap.org/programs/#research-net
1 June 2018
Proposal submission deadline for MFU Researcher
* Please submit a proposal (PDF file) to email@example.com
4 June 2018
Proposal submission deadline for UMAP member
* IAD submit all proposals to UMAP International Secretariat: UMAP IS)
International Affairs Division (IAD)
12 June to 16 July 2018
Evaluation by the reviewers
Final decision at UMAP Board meeting
30 September 2018
Notification of selection results to all applicants
1 October 2018
Project starting date
Interim research outcome presented at UMAP Board meeting
(PowerPoint presentation with narration)
30 November 2019
Research completed and final report submitted to UMAP IS
*Note: The projects will be evaluated at a UMAP Board Meeting