Mae Fah Luang University maintains its top spot for the 4th consecutive year in the Times Higher Education (THE) Young University Rankings 2023, released on 3 July 2023. This ranking listed the world’s best universities that are 50 years old or younger. Out of 605 universities from 78 territories, up from 539 in 2022, Mae Fah Luang University was ranked 1st in Thailand, joint 11th in ASEAN and in the 301-350 band of the world.
The list of top universities in ASEAN countries in THE Young University Rankings 2023:
- Ranked 1st (1) Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Ranked 2nd (68) Universiti Brunei Darussalam
- Ranked 3rd (79) Universiti Teknologi Petronas
- Ranked 4th (95) Universiti Utara Malaysia
- Ranked joint 5th (101 - 150) Duy Tan University and Ton Duc Thang University
- Ranked joint 7th (201 - 250) Universiti Malaysia Pahang and Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris
- Ranked joint 9th (251 - 300) Sunway University and Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN)
- Ranked joint 11th (301 - 350) Mae Fah Luang University and Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR)
- Ranked joint 13th (351 - 400) Universiti Malaysia Perlis and Vietnam National University, Hanoi (301–350)
THE Young University Rankings 2023 are based on the same 13 performance indicators as THE World University Rankings to assess research-intensive universities across all their core missions: teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook. The performance indicators are grouped into five areas: Teaching 30% (the learning environment); Research 30% (volume, income and reputation); Citations 30% (research influence); International outlook 7.5% (staff, students and research); and Industry Income 2.5% (knowledge transfer).